Wednesday, July 17, 2013

"Your Best Teacher is Your Last Mistake" - Ralph Nader

Everyday if you visit facebook you will see quotes being shared.  Most often they are moving copy over an image or even simply handwritten snapped with an iphone and then uploaded.  If liked, they are also often shared and passed around.  This movement is great to spread ideas but whose idea was it originally is being lost.  Today, like many mornings I did this very same thing...looking through the newsfeed, I found an image posted and shared by Shale Hrvoje Salkovic, a writer.  He and I must have some common connection but I do not know him outside of Facebook. He does have over 76,000 likes to his Facebook profile.  To this particular post after just 11 hours on July 18, 2013 there were over 3,000 likes and 202 shares.


I moved on to thoughts of my class today where students have to prepare business plans and carefully document their sources.  Then I shifted back to the saying Your best teacher is your last mistake that Mr. Salkovic was inspired to share and then for me to pass on.  In a matter of seconds, I verified my thought that someone must have said it before today.  Yes, indeed it was Ralph Nader, an American consumer advocate and one-time Presidential hopeful.  I tracked back and added a comment with the link to make sure he was name checked in the future.


About 6 hours after I posted my comment, it had received 2 likes.  I was very glad to see that the Shale Hrvoje Salkovic was one of them.  I have around 900 Facebook friends, he has over 84 times as many fans but yet he read and acknowledged the comment relatively quickly so it was validating that the effort was worth while.  Its not always appreciated but from his choice of quote, he is always open to learning.

Now as an example I will use the tool I recommend to students in order to properly document their references, Son of Citation Machine, which generates properly formatted citations with its online generator. There mission is to get users to recognize that "Someday the information someone else wants to use....will be yours" which is featured on their home page.

Here are a list of references for this blog entry:

A E Television Networks, LLC. (1996-2013). Ralph Nader biography. Retrieved from http://www.biography.com/people/ralph-nader-9419799

Salkovic, S. H. (2013, July 18)."Your best teacher is your last mistake." [Web log message]. Retrieved from https://www.facebook.com/pages/Shale-Hrvoje-Salkovic/171890232948967

Warlick, D. (2000, October 29). Son of citation machine. Retrieved from http://citationmachine.net


No comments:

Post a Comment

Future Entrepreneurs

Teaching in higher education in Croatia for almost 20 years, I have mostly been in the private sector.  But I am happy when learners re...